Belgian clubs in Europe: Ghent shares with Partizan Belgrade (1-1), Genk tied against West Ham (2-2), Antwerp knocked out by Fenerbahçe (0-3)

La Gantoise remains at the top of group B after its division

The Gantoise has not yet managed to secure its qualification for the knockout stages of the Conference League football, Thursday early evening. To do so, they had to beat Partizan Belgrade in a match counting for Matchday 4 of the group stage. The two teams shared points 1-1 at the Ghelamco Arena. A magnificent goal from Partizan signed Urosevic (66th) was compensated by the equalization of local replacement Tissoudali (81st). In the group’s other game, Flora Tallinn and Anorthosis Famagusta also shared the points (2-2).

La Gantoise remains at the top of group B and has every chance of finishing first and therefore going directly to the knockout stages. She has 10 points for 7 at Partizan and 2 at Flora and Anorthosis two days from the end of this initial phase. Ghent will travel to Cyprus on November 25 on the 5th day. Ghent immediately wanted to tip the decision. A superb shot from Kums found goalkeeper Popovic in the right place (5th). Then, Depoitre was caught narrowly by Vujacic (7th) at the entrance of the rectangle. Castro-Montes thought he had managed to score, but there was offside (16th)

The Partizan then came out with his head above the water and it was Bolat who had to relax on a shipment from Pantic (21st). The Buffalos goalkeeper was even saved by his post following a free kick at the entrance to the rectangle delivered by Natcho (28th).

The Gantoise still offered two good opportunities to cut the break through Odjidja (33rd) and a resumption of an off-target header from Depoitre (39th).

The second half turned out to be even more animated, with each team taking turns looking for the opening. Thus, in the 55th minute, after two tries by Jojic, it was Castro-Montes who alerted Popovic on the other side of the field in the same minute.

It was finally the Partizan who was rewarded with a masterful curled shot from Urosevic, the former OHL, who finished in the skylight. Bolat conceded his first goal of the competition (66th, 0-1).

Vanhaezebrouck then made three changes in the 71st minute: Tissadouli, Chakvetadze and De Sart replaced Bezus, Odjidja and Owusu. A success. On a milimeter cross from Chakvetadze, Tissadouli equalized ten minutes later (81st, 1-1).

The people of Ghent wanted more. Faced with Serbs folded in their half of the field, they proceeded by quick combinations at the entrance of the rectangle and Tissadouli was very close to scoring another goal (82nd). Nothing was marked anymore. This division is of course more business for the Ghent residents than for the Belgians in the race for first place.

Genk remains second behind West Ham, awaiting the other pool result

Genk shared the 2-2 stake against West Ham on Matchday 4 of Group H of the Europa League football. Joseph Paintsil (5th) opened the scoring for the Limburgers, Mohamed Said Benrahma (59th, 82nd) ​​brought the Hammers to command but an autogoal from Thomas Soucek (88th) put the two teams tied. In the standings, West Ham remains in the lead with 10 points while Genk (4 points) provisionally takes second place pending the result of Dinamo Zagreb-Rapid Vienna, who have three points each and play at 9pm. As against Zulte Waregem, John van den Brom left Theo Bongonda on the bench, preferring Paintsil. A good choice since, on a pass from Junya Ito, the Ghanaian inflicted the first goal in this competition on the Hammers (5th, 1-0). A whirlwind start for the Racingmen, who proved to be dangerous on the stopped phases. But Alphonse Aréola was not surprised by the consecutive header recoveries from Bryan Heynen and Paul Onuachu (9th). On an acceleration from Paintsil, Ito also pardoned the French goalkeeper by shooting aside while he was well placed (20th).

The Limburgs also escaped him narrowly on a free kick from Aaron Cresswell in the direction of Craig Dawson whose header was deflected over his goal by Maarten Vandevoordt (22nd). The Limburg goalkeeper was even warmer when he was surprised by a strike from Michail Antonio but Patrik Hrosovsky arrived in time to get the ball out on the line (43rd).

If they started the second half better than the first, the Hammers were not more precise like Antonio, who went under a cross from Cresswell and Vladimir Coufal, who missed his shot (48th). These actions prompted David Moyes to give his team a more offensive face: the Scottish coach made three changes at once, including a midfielder, Pablo Formals, for a defender, Arthur Masuaku (58th). The maneuver directly bore fruit since on a service from Coufal, Benrahma placed the ball between the legs Vandevoordt (59th, 1-1).

Genk, who never regained the level of the first half, received several warnings by Coufal (69th) and Dawson (73rd) before Benrahma struck again. After having erased Mujaid Sadick, the Algerian pushed the ball to the bottom again between the legs of Vandevoordt (82nd, 1-2). The games were not made because on a cross from Ángelo Preciado barely up in the game (87th), Soucek put the ball in his goal on a center intended for Onuachu (88th, 2-2).

Antwerp knocked out by Fenerbahçe in half an hour (0-3)

Antwerp suffered yet another defeat, the third in the competition, 0-3 to Fenerbahçe on Thursday in Matchday 4 of Group D of the Europa League. The Turks had already made the hole at the half hour by Hakan Yandas (8th), Max Meyer (18th) and Mergim Berisha (29th). With only one point, the Antwerpers are last. Earlier in the evening, Frankfurt (10 points) consolidated its first place by winning 1-2 at Olympiakos (6 points, 2nd). Fenerbahçe (5 points) occupies 3rd position and returns to the race for qualification While he was counting on snatching his first victory against Fenerbahçe, who remained on three defeats in the league, Antwerp took a direct hit on the head. Well served by? Rfan Kahveci, Yandas took advantage of the space he had to hit just at the sixteen-meter limit (8th, 0-1). It was the beginning of the drama for Antwerp which was going to pay dearly for a loss of ball in the midfield: in two passes, Berisha and Meyer widened the gap (18th, 0-2). Fenerbahçe did not show signs of a team in crisis and Berisha, who had seen Jean Butez take out one of his volleys (19th), reserved a new disappointment for the Antwerp (29th, 0-3). In confidence, Fenerbahçe further undermined the Antwerp defense but Bright Osayi-Samuel (42nd) and Ferdi Kadioglu (45th) were less effective than their teammates.

At rest, Brian Priske decided to line up a three-way defense and released Alhassan Yusuf for Dorian Dessoleil (46th). Faced with a Turkish team, which managed its comfortable lead, Antwerp tried to accelerate the pace but the flash to restart the match did not arrive. On the contrary, on a new loss of the ball in the middle, Berisha served Diego Rossi, who shot the post (65th). With a very pale Antwerp and on the verge of elimination in the Europa League, the second half dragged on in a deserted Bosuil stadium.

We want to say thanks to the author of this short article for this awesome material

Belgian clubs in Europe: Ghent shares with Partizan Belgrade (1-1), Genk tied against West Ham (2-2), Antwerp knocked out by Fenerbahçe (0-3)